|Review by: Leonard Hill
||I played Deer Creek Golf Course yesterday located in Crossville, Tn. and was absolutely disgusted with the 5 hours plus it took us to play. The course is beautiful. However, in talking with the Pro Shop attendant, the owner, Mr. Lloyd Bowman just this past week wanted his veteran staff to accept a ridiculous contract which would:
1. They would receive no pay,
2. Could only play during "off-peak" times (off-peak not defined),
3. Food discounts would only be accepted during working hours,
4. Could only use range during off-peak times,
5. Something pertaining to being taxed at end of year for rounds played, merchandise discounts, etc.,
6. No worker's comp. (which constitutes legal action and may be pending),
7. Employee guests would have to pay for riding cart with guest.
Need I say more to describe the fiasco that Deer Creek is now experiencing. I do not know the owner personally, but would dare to assume that he has lost his mind. We have traveled from Ohio to Crossville every year since 1995. We obviously know several of the veteran rangers and starters. We could not believe the owner would wait until this past week, the start of the prime golf season to make such changes.
And what add insult to injury, he did not even have the human courtesy to call a meeting to discuss the changes. His chosen form of communicating these changes was to send a fax.
That tells me he does not have the backbone or courage of a normal human being. I'm confident that he will soon realize his mistake for which it may be too late to recover. His comment was that he would place an add in the paper to replace. 10 - 12 good honest, hard working veterans are hard to replace, but Crossville may be different from other areas.
My suggestion prior to playing at Deer Creek would be to call and inquire about the current situation, or better yet, drop by and observe for yourself rather than take a possible biased answer.
This is a sad turn of events, but we are already looking at other courses in the area.